We are a group of independent and non-partisan social activists, analysts, academics, former government officials, professionals from various sectors, entrepreneurs and NGOs, who are representing the sentiments of millions of disillusioned and frustrated rakyat across the racial, urban-rural and gender divide.
Our country is at a crossroad today, facing an unimaginable crisis involving a major threat to public health (pandemic), economic meltdown and political instability, with no clear leadership in sight.
The vast majority of rakyat are sick and tired of the constant politicking and power struggle games in the midst of this devastating pandemic which has killed many people and has also destroyed or undermined the livelihood and income of millions of our rakyat, who are only asking for the right to earn a decent living for their families and themselves in a peaceful, just and safe environment.
After 18 months of this terrible and utterly destructive pandemic and the power struggle at the same time to form a stable and workable government, we seem to be getting nowhere.
We are like a ship sailing in unchartered waters with many captains fighting to take over the control of the ship but none seems to have the ability to lead or any idea on where to go.
Since the pandemic started in February 2020, our country had been governed by the Perikatan Nasional (PN) government until last month, which has somehow failed to manage the pandemic or to bring it under control.
We are not for or against any political party but we expect those who have been given the responsibility to govern, to deliver on their promises and services to the rakyat.
We support all the necessary control measures needed such as the wearing of face mask in public places, social distancing, targeted lockdowns, reliable testing and the use of safe and real vaccines.
The new government led by Barisan Nasional (BN) is made up of basically the same politicians as the PN government, with the same policies and approach in managing the pandemic. Therefore, we are not hopeful of the outcome and our country cannot afford another period of failures until GE15.
The opposition Pakatan Harapan seems to be no different. They have not offered anything new and are basically supporting the same failed approach, with only some differences in emphasis.
We do not wish to take sides for or against any political party but based on the performance and policies of all major political parties, we believe that none of them have the combined expertise, integrity, wisdom and ability needed to end the pandemic and quickly turn around the economy.
We believe that only an independent-minded and technocratic government of mainly non-politicians, with the expertise, scientific outlook, competence and integrity, and led by a very wise, experienced, honest and capable prime minister, preferably with a successful background on managing our economy, would be able to end the pandemic and turn around our collapsing economy.
In an unstable hung Parliament situation like now, having a cabinet of mostly politicians from various parties, would only give rise to much internal politicking and in securing contracts for their cronies, at the expense of the teamwork and energy needed to address the pandemic and economic recovery.
We appeal to the King and his brother Rulers to take heed of our sentiments expressed here on behalf of the suffering rakyat and for the sake of preventing the “final nail in the coffin of our decimated economy”.
If there is such an opportunity again, we hope and pray that a prime minister with the above qualities and is able to form a high-performance technocratic government to manage the pandemic crisis and deliver on the results needed by the rakyat, would be appointed.
1. K.K.Tan, Corporate & Political Strategist, CEO of Social Enterprise, Former CEO of MNC & GLC
2. Prof Tan Sri Dr Ghauth Jasmon, Former VC of Univ of Malaya, Former President of Multimedia Univ
3. Tan Sri Dr Salleh Mohd Nor, Former DG of FRIM and Former President of Malaysian Nature Society
4. Tan Sri T.C. Goh, Chinese Community Leader, Businessman & Ex Senior Police Officer
5. Tan Sri Ramon Navaratnam, Former Govt Sec-Gen and Chairman of Think Tank Policy Group
6. Dato’ Hussamuddin Yaacub, Media Owner & Practitioner and Anti-Corruption Activist
7. Dato’ Nadzim Johan, Coalition on Integrity of Vaccines & Drugs Against Covid-19 (CIVDAC)
8. Brigadier General (Rtd) Dato’ Mohd Arshad Raji, Persatuan Patriot Kebangsaan (PATRIOT)
9. Dato’ Ambiga Sreenevasan, Social Activist and Former President of Bar Council
10. Prof Dato’ Dr Ahamed Kameel Mydin Meera, Movement for Monetary Justice Malaysia (MMJ)
11. Retired Commissioner of Police, Dato’ Asri Yusoff, Persatuan Pengguna Islam Malaysia (PPIM)
12. Retired Commissioner of Police, Dato’ Shabudin Abdul Wahab, Asian Heritage Museum Group
13. Tunku Azwil Tunku Abdul Razak, Gabungan NGO Islam (GNI)
14. Dato’ Samsudin Abu Hassan, Chartered Accountant & Corporate Entrepreneur
15. Dato’ Abdul Manap Abdul Wahab, Monetary Specialist & Former Bank CEO
16. Prof Dr Mustafa Ali Mohd, Pharmacologist & Former Deputy Dean of Medical Faculty, Univ of Malaya
17. Prof Suresh Kumar Govind, Former Professor of Parasitology, Univ of Malaya
18. Dr Vijaendreh Subramanian, Consultant Obstetrician & Gynae, President of Medical Organisation
19. Harith Iskander, Comedian & Actor
20. Derrick Tan Peng Koon, F & B Entrepreneur, Shopping Mall Operator & Former Banker.