KUALA LUMPUR, May 4 (Sin Chew Daily) – It is learned that the government is planning to impose targeted MCO in areas with rapidly rising COVID-19 cases or read zones.
According to two cabinet ministers, preliminary decisions were made during the national security council meeting last night.
Dining-in will still be allowed in areas under MCO 3.0, but the government will tighten the standard operating procedures (SOPs) by limiting the number of diners for each establishment.
However, the ministers said it was unnecessary for all the schools in areas under MCO 3.0 to be closed, but said schools would only be closed if there are reported COVID-19 cases.
"Some preliminary decisions were made in yesterday's meeting. The MKN meeting to be chaired by prime minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin tomorrow will further discuss and finalize the matters."
The ministers said Selangor and Kelantan had urged the federal government to impose statewide MCO, but the request had been turned down in yesterday's meeting.
"Total MCO will be very damaging to the economy, and the government is only considering targeted MCO in more serious areas and red zones in order to contain the spread of the virus."
The prime minister is expected to make the announcement tomorrow, while senior defense minister Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob is expected to announce the Hari Raya SOPs after chairing the MKN technical committee meeting later today.
So far the government continues to ban interstate travel until May 17.
Sinchew.com.my urges readers, netizens and viewers to join us in upholding the spirit of freedom of expression in creating a responsible web interaction environment. Any online comment from members of the public that may constitute an act of personal assault, promote racial and religious hatred, or are slanderous and malicious, do not represent the position of Sinchew.com.my. Sinchew.com.my reserves the right to delete any comment it deems has contravened this principle.